„There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open.” – Martha Graham, dansatoare si coregrafa, unul dintre pionierii dansului modern.
Martha Graham – alte cugetari despre dans si viata:
“I have spent all my life with dance and being a dancer,” she said. “It’s permitting life to use you in a very intense way. Sometimes it is not pleasant. Sometimes it is fearful. But nevertheless it is inevitable.”
• We learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. One becomes in some area an athlete of God.
• You are unique, and if that is not fulfilled, then something has been lost.
• Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want to, when all they need is one reason why they can.
• Our arms start from the back because they were once wings.
• No artist is ahead of his time. He is his time. It is just that the others are behind the time.
• Dance is the hidden language of the soul.
• Dancing is just discovery, discovery, discovery.
• Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance. Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion.
• Dance is a song of the body. Either of joy or pain.
• Virile gestures are evocative of the only true beauty. Ugliness may be actually beautiful if it cries out with the voice of power.
• I did not want to be a tree, a flower or a wave. In a dancer’s body, we as audience must see ourselves, not the imitated behavior of everyday actions, not the phenomenon of nature, not exotic creatures from another planet, but something of the miracle that is a human being.
• I am absorbed in the magic of movement and light. Movement never lies. It is the magic of what I call the outer space of the imagination. There is a great deal of outer space, distant from our daily lives, where I feel our imagination wanders sometimes. It will find a planet or it will not find a planet, and that is what a dancer does.
• We look at the dance to impart the sensation of living in an affirmation of life, to energize the spectator into keener awareness of the vigor, the mystery, the humor, the variety, and the wonder of life. This is the function of the American dance.
• Think of the magic of that foot, comparatively small, upon which your whole weight rests. It’s a miracle, and the dance is a celebration of that miracle.
• Dancing appears glamorous, easy, delightful. But the path to paradise of the achievement is not easier than any other. There is fatigue so great that the body cries, even in its sleep. There are times of complete frustration, there are daily small deaths.
• I’m asked so often at ninety-six whether I believe in life after death. I do believe in the sanctity of life, the continuity of life and of energy. I know the anonimity of death has no appeal for me. It is the now that I must face and want to face.
Pentru spicuiri biografice si scurta analiza astrologica asupra hartii natale a Marthei, va invit sa cititi un articol semnat Raisa Dobrovolschi: http://www.astrele.ro/2012/07/31/mari-balerini-martha-graham-si-vaslav-nijinsky-i/